The Pioneer Post

The Pioneer Post is a resource for online students that provides tips and information about distance education.

 

Monday, May 21, 2007

By Toni McCutchin, Student Advisory Board

I have been enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration program at UW-Platteville for quite some time. I started out the first four years taking print-based courses. I would normally enroll in two to three courses a year. My two sons were very young when I began, so I did not have a lot of free time to work on course work. After four years of taking print-based courses, my advisor at UW-Platteville suggested that I try taking an online course.

With the online courses, you must have a lot more discipline than with print-based courses because you must meet the course deadlines for all assignments and exams. A great benefit of the online courses is the interaction with other students they offer. I also have found it much easier to take exams because I can take them any time day or night within the exam window. There have been times when I have taken exams at 10:30 at night after everyone in the house has gone to bed.

I have found that most of the UW-Platteville online course instructors communicate very often and return responses in a timely manner. Most of the online instructors realize that students enrolled in their distance learning courses are adults who have families and a job, so they are flexible to a point.

You have a lot more flexibility than if you were to take a course in a classroom environment when taking courses at a distance. You do need to have some discipline to stay focused on completing your degree and meeting the course deadline.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with my degree goal. I expect to graduate in one year.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Online Courses Login



Grades

Log in to your online advising resources to access grade reports.



Degree Plan

Log in to your online advising resources to access your degree plan.