The Pioneer Post

The Pioneer Post is a resource for online students that provides tips and information about distance education.

 

Thursday, March 15, 2007

This week we have invited our distance learning students to contribute writings that describe what their life as a distance learner is like.

Our second contribution is from Ken Wiegman, a student in UW-Platteville’s online Master of Science in Criminal Justice program.


A Week in the Life of a Distance Learner - Part 1
By Ken Wiegman


I have been asked to write about a week in the life of an online student, so I would like to start with a little background. I am a full-time student this semester enrolled in Crisis Intervention, as well as working on my seminar paper. Aside from school, I work full-time at UW-Platteville and am a member of the Wisconsin National Guard. My wife Ellen and I have three children: Alethiea, Andrea, and Erica. Week-to-week, there is always a lot going on.

The online program fits my life quite well, as it is more loosely structured than a normal classroom setting, giving me some flexibility to work around family, work, and everything else.

This week is spring break at UW-Platteville and I am off from work but, unfortunately, I am not vacationing. What I am doing is making up some missed time in the Guards. I will be in Madison all week working with the Guards, which brings up another good point about the online program: I can participate in classes from anywhere as long as I have internet access.

We have a built in spring break for Crisis Intervention, so I plan to spend a lot of time this week focusing on my research paper. However, as you will find out, the week may hold other surprises and a change of plans is always anticipated.

Labels:

Online Courses Login



Grades

Log in to your online advising resources to access grade reports.



Degree Plan

Log in to your online advising resources to access your degree plan.